KNOWING YOUR WORTH AS A BLOGGER

Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere Knowing your worth in the blogosphere Knowing your worth in the blogosphere Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere

There are numerous costs when it come’s to blogging, you can read all about the price it pays to be a fashion blogger here, and sometimes in the industry I think a lot of people and brands can forget this. As I work in the fashion PR industry I definitely get to see both sides of this story. As bloggers we work bloody hard, we put blood sweat and tears into creating content that’s high quality. Being told ‘Sorry we have no budget for this collaboration’ can be disheartening sometimes, but we really need to stand our ground sometimes and know our own worth. Especially when you know that the cost of creating that post will make you out of pocket.

Knowing your worth in the Blogosphere

However they’re other times when I do feel it’s unnecessary to ask a brand for payment i.e if the company is new and really honestly wouldn’t have the budget. I’m all for helping smaller brands for free if I truly love the product and if it is something I would purchase myself. I also understand that companies don’t have unlimited funds when it comes to PR and Social Media outreach, however something happened the other day which felt like a smack in the face. I rarely voice my opinion too much on twitter, but something wound me up enough to tweet about it, and a lot of you seem to have either experienced the same thing or can understand where I am coming from.

So you’ve been contacted by a brand to collaborate and they tell you there is no budget. However you then see another blogger with a similar social following to yours using #spon in a post with that same brands product. This has made me think that maybe I’m not sticking up for myself enough and not realising my own worth in the blogosphere. In one sense it could cause bitterness in the industry, but we must not to compare our selves to others. That’s the main thing I have taken from this. It’s easy to get drawn into what everyone else is doing and what brands they are working with, but we must focus on our own content and focus on the great collaborations we are working on and not that we are not ‘good’ enough.

I’d love to hear if you have had similar experiences and how it made you feel!

+Polka Dot Wrap Frill Dress – Motel Rocks

+Lace Up Sandals – Public Desire

+Initial Necklace – Astrid & Miyu

Straw Bag – Primark

Photography By Alise Jane

10 Comments

1. Arabella Wright 3rd July 2017 / 8:48 pm

So glad you said it! Brands really don’t understand sometimes – especially the ones that then ask you to purchase the product they want you to review!

• Chelcie 4th July 2017 / 7:57 am

Hi Arabella!

Thanks for your comment! Yes I totally agree, needs to be shown from our point of view more!

Chelcie x

2. Charlotte 4th July 2017 / 6:36 am

I have experienced the same too. But then on the other side as I work in blogger outreach I have seen some bloggers use sponsored post on posts that have gifted product too. So perhaps some of the time they haven’t been given budget but either think they need to use a sponsored tag or want to do it looks as thought they have been paid to work with a brand so other brands do to? Xx

• Chelcie 4th July 2017 / 8:00 am

Hey Charlotte!

Thank you for your comment. That is so true! Hopefully people aren’t using it to look like they have paid, so dishonest! But like you said they may be using it and not realising so we can’t take situations like this to heart.

Chelcie x

3. Jayne 6th July 2017 / 3:23 am

I don’t often reply to most of the emails I receive because the majority of them (and even then they are few and far between) they are poorly written and all from those same sort of bridal/prom dress websites if you know what I an talking about. I barely get any emails from brands etc so when I do get one from a brand I admire I often do what they ask willingly – a post for a competition etc – and put a lot of effort into it and get nothing in return. Afterwards it does make me think as I tend to feel a little deflated but often I am just happy that they acknowledged my blog in the first place. Anyway, that dress is really flattering on you by the way! x

• Chelcie 6th July 2017 / 9:08 am

Hi Jayne,

Thank you for your comment! That is so true and sometimes I do the same if its a big brand which I love, you almost feel obliged to do whatever they ask and we shouldn’t :/

Chelcie x

4. Laura | Style and Sushi 6th July 2017 / 10:03 am

I am so glad you wrote a post about this! I find it so hard to stick up for myself to brands. It’s hard, but what you say is so true. We need to focus on our own content and the great collaborations. Also loving this dress, it’s absolutely beautiful! 🙂 xx Laura

5. katie 8th July 2017 / 12:45 pm

blogging has blown up so much recently that it’s difficult to keep track of best practices and to know what/ when to charge. tbh, i find i tire quickly of bloggers when the majority of their posts become sponsored…i sometimes feel as though the reasons i loved their blog in the first place get smaller and smaller as they become bigger! which is a shame but i completely agree with you, supporting smaller businesses is so important and sometimes they genuinely don’t have the budget, you just need to make a judgement call and go with your gut!

6. betty 3rd October 2017 / 9:08 pm