Instagram is one of the best tools to help you build your brand as a blogger, it gives people a really clear idea of what you’re all about, your interests & your style. Now that Instagram has introduced its new algorithm, users feeds will no longer show in chronological order, so making the most of Instagram’s features is more crucial than ever to make sure people see your photo’s. Instagram has also helped me draw people to my blog, the 2 go hand-in-hand as you can showcase your blog using your Instagram, showing them a small snippet of what to expect when they click onto your blog link. It’s also a great way of connecting with brands, other fellow bloggers and becoming part of the blogging community. Below are my top 10 most effective tips which have definitely helped me grow my following on Instagram.
1. Choose a filter & stick to it. Always make sure you edit your photos the same, this will ensure consistency throughout your feed and also helps to create your style/brand. It also helps if your images are of high quality and you have good lighting.
2. Hashtag anything relevant to your post! Especially the hashtags that companies create; for example #topshopstyle #ristyle #asseenonme these are usually advertised on the brands website. They’ve created these tags so they can see what people are posting about them and if they love your picture you could even be given the opportunity to feature on their page or collaborate. River Island regrammed one of my images ( see below ) back in the summer which got over 10,000 likes, this gave me a lot of exposure & drew in a new audience to my Instagram.
3. Tag brands in your posts. By actually tagging brands it will show on their photos feed which again, they are more likely to see and more likely to repost. Also you can upload outfits to sites such as OOTD Submit to be in with the chance for your photo to be featured on their Instagram account. OOTD Magazine have 2.5 million followers and when my OOTD was featured, this helped gain a new audience who wouldn’t have necessarily seen my feed otherwise.
4. Plan your feed. There’s apps out there where you can plan your photo’s before you post, so you can check that images don’t clash next to each other. Apps such as VSCOcam, Planogr.am or UNUM are great for this. Planogr.am will also allow you to schedule your posts so if you’ve got a really hectic week at work or your just too busy to make time for social media that day/week, you can simply apply a date and time & into the Instagram world it goes.
5. Post at the most engaging times. Evenings and weekends especially Sunday’s are usually best as there is a lot more activity during these times. However, to find out when your personal most effective time to post is, head over to Iconosquare or Union Metrics. They analyse your Instagram account and give you statistics as to when the best time is for you to post, by showing when you get the most engagement from previous images posted.
6. Analysis apps ( see above ) are great, as they will show you your most liked / most commented images plus loads more statistics. Usually your most liked/commented images will follow a trend i.e selfies, outfit pictures, flat-lays. This will be useful when posting images going forward as you will know what images your audience wants to see more of.
7. Like & comment on other people’s feeds. If there’s a really great image you like = like & comment, get yourself out there & interact! Naturally other people will see your comments too and might think to click onto your profile.
8. Post regularly to keep your audience engaged. This completely differs between people, I know a lot of bloggers will post 3/4 times a day, but as long as your posting enough to keep your audience interested that’s fine too.
9. Promote your Instagram on other social media accounts & vise versa by putting your blog link on your Instagram profile bio. Share your Instagram images to your Facebook page & twitter account to draw more people into your feed. Showing them a snippet of what your Instagram account looks like might just be enough for them to click ‘Follow.’
10. Tag your location, people who are following you will be interested in where that image was taken. This wont necessarily be good for selfies in your bedroom but if your at a really cool bar or on holiday somewhere people search these locations to see what places are like!
There you have it 10 simple steps to help grow your audience on Instagram. If you have any other effective tips please comment and let me know as I’m always looking for news ways to reach a wider audience! And remember to follow me on Instagram if you don’t already www.instagram.com/chelcienicolem